Canadian Hydrographer Certification Program
The Association of Canada Lands Surveyors (ACLS) has developed a certification model for hydrographers and offshore surveyors which has been officially recognized by the IHO/FIG/ICA International Board of Standards and Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers (IBSC) in April of 2016 and is now ready to receive applications.
The ACLS program is the second internationally recognized one in the world. The program is designed to promote IBSC-Accredited Category A or B training in Canada, while standardizing knowledge and experience requirements for individuals possessing non-accredited hydrographic surveying training and experience.
The ACLS Program has two levels of Certification. The first level is for project leaders and managers and the second level is for technologist. Each level has a variety of itineraries towards certification. There are paths available in both Level 1 and 2 for non-holders of IBSC-Accredited Category A or B training to become certified. The ACLS Certification program is open to both ACLS-commissioned and non-commissioned hydrographic and offshore surveyors in Canada and abroad.
Certification by a hydrographic or offshore surveyor is desirable because as follows:
- Certification provides a formally recognized and structured career path for the hydrographic or offshore surveyor.
- Establishes the hydrographic or offshore surveyor’s level of expertise and competency.
- Ensures the hydrographic or offshore surveyor is aware of the changing technologies in these sectors.
- Provides the certificate holder with an enhanced profile within their industry.
- Prepares the hydrographic or offshore surveyor for the next global expansion in these sectors.
For a list of online courses available that are relevant to the CH and CHTech: online courses for CHCP and courses exemptions
“IMPORTANT-GET READY NOW!”
CHS recognizes that an individual having Hydrographic Certification is certainly an asset.
How can you be ready? Apply for certification under the Canadian Hydrographer Certification Scheme (CHCS)
Certification is desirable because of it:
- Allows public recognition of your professional excellence.
- Provides a formally recognized and structured career.
- Provides an internationally recognized career path whether in the private and public sectors.
- Establishes the person’s level of expertise and competency.
- Reduces the risks associated with unqualified and inexperienced persons providing these services to the public.
The CHCS has been recognized by the FIG/IHO/ICA International Board on Standard of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautica Cartographers (IBSC).