You are here

Public Protection

The Association of Canada Lands Surveyors (ACLS) establishes and maintains standards of qualifications, conduct, knowledge, and skill among its members, and member companies.  It has a program of continuing professional development in place, to guide ACLS members in maintaining their currency of knowledge and a mandatory practice review program in place where licensed members’ projects are inspected every three year.

It also investigates complaints against its members for the protection of the Public as part of its mandate.

Most difficulties arising in client/surveyor relationships are the result of miscommunications.  The Registrar is the initial contact for a complaint and responds to all questions concerning the procedure.  Depending on individual circumstances, a simple matter may be resolved within thirty days.  Typically in such a situation, the Registrar, or someone else agreeable to both parties, will act as a mediator.

Otherwise, formal complaints are referred to the Complaints Committee, and may be resolved within three to six months.  The Complaints Committee may investigate any alleged act of unprofessional conduct or incompetence. It collects and reviews evidence regarding a complaint, and presents its report to the ACLS Council.  The complaint and evidence may then be forwarded to the Discipline Committee.

Files forwarded to the Discipline Committee may take up to a year to come to a conclusion. The complainant still has the right to seek legal remedies regardless of the consideration of the complaint or the resolution of the matter.

When filing a complaint, you can expect:
  • That all complaints will be kept confidential.
  • To be informed on the progress of the complaint
  • To be notified in writing of any decision
  • In all cases, to be treated fairly
All complaints must be submitted in writing to:
Association of Canada Lands Surveyors
c/o The Registrar
900 Dynes Rd., Suite 100E
Ottawa ON K2C 3L6
To file a formal complaint against an ACLS member, or a permit holder:
  • put your complaint in writing and address it to the Registrar
  • explain the nature of the problem,
  • detail the events in chronological order
  • include a copy of your contract with the surveyor, all plans and documentation received from the surveyor and any other pertinent documents